The BCal Forum
Welcome to

The BCal Forum

British Caledonian - A Tribute

www.british-caledonian.com
The BCal Forum

The forum for the former staff and friends of British Caledonian Airways

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

G-ARTA VC10 Heavy landing at Gatwick 1972?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John Morgan

PostSubject: G-ARTA VC10 Heavy landing at Gatwick 1972?   Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:31 am

I believe I was on duty in Load Control when this happened and I understood that the aircraft had been flown into Heathrow to offload its passengers and then just had to position back to the Gatwick base with just the flight/cabin crew on board.
Apparently the aircraft should not be flown without full fuel in the central fuel tank, and since the aircraft had used up most of its fuel on getting to Heathrow I believe the Flight Crew, who would have been very tired, made the mistake of thinking that as Gatwick was only "10 minutes down the road" so to speak, they did not ensure that fuel was in the centre fuel tank. The consequences were catastrophic as when it came into land the weight was not in trim resulting in an extremely heavy landing which by the time it came to a halt had cracked the fuselage in two. A sight I will not forget, very tragic indeed. Also I believe the Captain and First Officer both had broken bones on impact and were eventually removed from their positions with the company. I cannot remember whether any of the Cabin Crew suffered any injuries but I would be surprised if they hadn't.
John Morgan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaveT
Admin

PostSubject: G-ARTA   Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:26 am

Hi John

We had a feature page a while back on G-ARTA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope thats of interest and always happy to add any more info

All the best

Dave
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.british-caledonian.com

G-ARTA VC10 Heavy landing at Gatwick 1972?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1